Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Food for thought

Our Deepest Fear

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us.We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?Actually, who are you NOT to be?
You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the World.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It is not just in some of us;
it is in everyone.
As we let our own Light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear,
our presence automatically liberates others.

Marianne Williamson
From A Return to Love.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Child of God'?
My dear dear Naureen, as Muslims, we must pay special attention to such small details as our selection of western vocabulary. Please, please, before you write, take a moment and think about your pick of words. As muslims, we donot beleive in the Christian notion of The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost, and as such we shouldn't be the ones preaching it in small, benign words, for these words carve into human thought as perpetual strokes!

Blue Water said...

Hmm u r right.. I shud have been careful. hmm child of God... yes my mistake... my sincerest apologies...

Do u agree with this?
"We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us"

I wud love to know what u think of the above... seriously!! (me not being sarcastic or anything!)

Anonymous said...

First of all, it's completely by chance that I read your reply here :P I was expecting keh you'd reply either via scrap or via email :P

Kher, about "We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us". Yes I do beleive in that to a certain extent, although I wouldn't use the phrase 'glory of God within us', strictly due to my religious beleifs only. Ofcourse, you don't have to agree with me. We mortals have no glory, and we certainly don't have any of God's glories - none of us is 'Razzaq', or 'Baseer', or 'Khaliq', or 'Mutakabbir', in the minutest sense.
But yes, we are all meant to make menifest the word, the glory and the will of God that has been conveyed to us.